Monday, January 13, 2014

DIY Chicken Wire Frame

Okay friends, this is one of the easiest DIY's ever! It does require some tools, but if once you have everything it is a great Saturday afternoon craft.

You will need the following supplies:

Frame - you can use any frame you want, antique, goodwill find, etc.
Chicken wire - Unless you are like my parents and have chicken wire sitting around you will probably have to make a trip to the local farm supply store to pick up some.
Staple gun - I used an easy hand staple gun. Confession, my dad did all of the stapling.
Putty - You might need this if you use an antique frame that has some holes that need filling in.
White paint -  If you are working with wood and white (or any other color) washing your frame then I would highly suggest using flat interior paint. You can pick up a sample at Home Depot or Lowes for about 2-3 dollars if you don't have any sitting around.
Wet wash cloth - if you are planning on white washing your frame like I did you will need a wash cloth to wipe paint off. If you are just painting your frame then you don't need to worry about this.
Wood Glue
Plyers

Directions:

I found frame at a used furniture store for $2. I know it looks pretty rough, but it was just what I had in mind for this upcycling project.



When I took the frame off of the back board I found out the frame wasn't put together and it didn't actually fit together on its own very well. After some nails, wood glue, and paint cans I was able to put the frame back together. 

I wanted an antique white washed effect so I brushed a light layer of paint and then took my wet wash cloth and wiped the paint off until I had the look I wanted. I left enough paint so it was white, but made sure you could see the wood showing through.


To fill in the uneven spots where the frame didn't fill well together I used putty and evened out all of the edges. After the putty dried I painted over it, wiping it down and blended it into the frame.

All done! 
Next I laid the frame down on top of the chicken wire and cut out with plyers. To attach it to the frame we flipped it face down and stretched the wire over the frame and then stapled it. Chicken wire is somewhat stretchy (?) and I didn't want the frame to have bumps, so we pulled it really tight as we stapled. I did have to go back over the puttied spots and paint because it shifted somewhat after attaching the chicken wire.


I forgot to take a picture of the frame with the chicken wire all by itself, sorry! When I get a chance I will take a photo and update the post. We used the frame to hold onesies for my SIL's baby shower. I love how it turned out and can't wait to use it for other events.

No comments:

Post a Comment